Citrulline does not have a direct effect on building muscle mass, but it has many other health benefits for our body:
- Increases the use of essential amino acids during training and immediately after its completion;
- It can contribute to a slight increase in the concentration of growth hormone levels after training;
- Supports blood supply to the whole body;
- It contributes to the reduction of the feeling of fatigue, and also reduces the possibility of muscle soreness after training;
- Participates in the regulation of acid-base management;
- It affects the contractions of muscle fibers, and also regulates blood flow through tissues and organs;
- It limits the excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium from the body;
- Supports the production of nitric oxide and the occurrence of the so-called “muscle pump”;
- Reduces the severity of the breakdown of muscle tissue;
- Improves the functioning of metabolism.
Citrulline in supplementation is recommended mainly to people who are physically active, but due to its versatile action – it will also work for people who do not practice any physical activity. The daily portion of citrulline varies between 3-6g. It is best to break down citrulline supplementation into two portions – one 30 minutes before training, and the other during training or at night.
Currently, on the supplement market, we have the opportunity to buy citrulline in two types: L-Citrulline and citrulline malate. Both effectively support training, but malate is considered a more effective supplement, which more favorably increases the occurrence of the “muscle pump” phenomenon and contributes to better improvement of efficiency.
When writing about citrulline, I must mention the safety of its use and contraindications. Although citrulline is a very safe supplement – it can cause diarrhea, which is why it is not recommended for people who already have problems with the proper functioning of the digestive system. Citrulline is also not recommended for people with cardiovascular diseases – in the case of such people, a medical consultation is necessary if they want to supplement citrulline.